Le MuCEM, Museum of the Civilisations of Europe and the Mediterranean (musée des civilisations de l’Europe et de la Méditerranée) is Marseille new national museum located on a fabulous site, at the bottom of the Vieux-Port.
Launched in 2013 during the celebrations of European Capitale of Culture, this museum is the most beautiful of the city so far. Its breath-taking panorama of Marseille and the Frioul islands, its rich exhibitions on the Méditerranée history make it a must-do.
The museum is divided into two parts :
- a modern building famous for its hairnet concrete created by the architect Rudy Ricciotti
- a fully renovated ancient building offering a crazy view of le Vieux-Port and Notre Dame de la Garde : the fort Saint-Jean
On the rooftop of the museum, there is a very cool terrace with an expensive restaurant, but stop you to drink there a coffee. The sea view is magnificent and free !
You must visit the museum by night, it’s really sublime !
Tips and anecdotes
The MuCEM has its hidden secrets and treasures… Like a Berlin wall’s segment shown in the permanent exhibition, or fantastic models which reproduce Marseille from antiquity to nowadays.
Take a walk on the beautiful footbridges and admire the view, the exterior access is absolutely free !
- Le Môle Passédat, La Table (Bistrot chic – Toit terrasse MuCEM J4)
- Menu from 49 €
- Le Môle Passédat, La Cuisine (Brasserie – Toit terrasse MuCEM J4)
- Buffet lunch from 17,50 €
- Le Môle Passédat, Café du Fort (Café – Bâtiment Georges-Henri Rivière, fort Saint Jean)
- Menu from 35 €
- A café on the ground floor
- A bookshop (ground floor) with more than 30 000 books in French and other languages and souvenirs of Marseille.
7 Promenade Robert Laffont, 13002 Marseille
Everyday except on Tuesday (while others museums are closed on Monday) and on the 25th of December and the 1st of May
Summer hours (4th of July the 31st of August): 10am-8pm
Spring (2nd of May- 3d of July): 11am-7pm
Autumn (1st of September-31st of October): 11am-7pm
Winter (1st of November – 30th of April): : 11am-6pm
Night opening on Friday until 10pm (2nd of May – 31th of October)
Free access to the MuCEM gardens and exteriors (J4 and fort Saint-Jean) for individuals only during the standard opening hours.
MuCEM full price 8 € / reduced price ticket 5 €
Family ticket 12 € (maximum of 5 children with 2 adults): adults without minors won’t be authorised to access the exhibition rooms
HOW TO GET THERE ?
- Station Quai du Port
- Station Boulevard du Littoral / Mucem
- Tunnel Prado Carénage, prendre la sortie Joliette
- Station Joliette (Ligne 2)
- Station Colbert / Hôtel de Région (Ligne 1)
- Station Jules Guesde (Ligne 2)
- Station Joliette
- Station République / Dames
- Station Sadi Carnot